23 Jan Achieve a more youthful appearance with dermal fillers
It’s only natural for women to desire a more youthful appearance. When it comes to facial rejuvenation, there are many non-surgical routes you can take to fight the signs of aging, including Botox, dermal fillers, micro-needling, chemical peels, and laser rejuvenation.
As we age, our faces naturally lose subcutaneous fat, which causes the facial muscles to work closer to the skin surface. Consequently, smile lines and crow’s feet often become more visible. Similarly, facial skin becomes lax as we age, adding to the loss of facial volume.
At the Center for Surgical Dermatology, we recommend using dermal fillers (also known as cosmetic fillers) to restore volume and smooth lines, which results in a younger, natural-looking appearance.
What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are injectable, gel-like substances used to improve the appearance of fine lines, deeper wrinkles, and depressed scars.
Dermal fillers vs. Botox
While Botox and dermal fillers are both popular facial rejuvenation treatments, they are very different treatments. Botox is a neurotoxin that helps stop the muscle movements that create unwanted lines and wrinkles. Its primary use should be in facial muscles. Dermal fillers, on the other hand, contain ingredients that add fullness to areas that have thinned with age. They are injected beneath the surface of the skin to add volume and fullness.
Dermal filler options
There are numerous filler options available to patients, including hyaluronic acid-based products, polylactic acid, and calcium hydroxyapatite. The American Board of Cosmetic Dermatology explains the substances that fillers consist of in more depth:
- Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance found in your skin that helps keep skin plump and hydrated. The results typically last 6 to 12 months before the body gradually and naturally absorbs the particles.
- Polylactic acid products are technically classified as “collagen stimulators” because they help your skin rebuild natural collagen. Polylactic acid is often used to treat deeper wrinkles, and results can last more than 2 years.
- Calcium hydroxyapatite is another naturally occurring substance found in our bones. Like polylactic acid, it helps stimulate natural collagen production. The consistency of this filler is thicker than a hyaluronic acid filler and typically lasts about 12 months.
After a thorough evaluation, your doctor can determine the most effective fillers for your needs and goals.
How to achieve a more youthful appearance with dermal fillers
Dermal fillers can help mitigate those early signs of aging by restoring volume in problem areas. Here are the best uses for dermal fillers to achieve a more youthful appearance:
- Plump thin lips
- Reduce fine lines and wrinkles
- Restore volume loss in the cheeks and temple region
- Reconstruct contour deformities in the face
- Enhance shallow contours
- Decrease or remove the shadow of the lower eyelids
- Restore volume to aged hands
At the Center for Surgical Dermatology, we can help you determine how to best use dermal fillers to restore volume, smooth lines, and ultimately achieve a more youthful appearance.
Contact Center of Surgical Dermatology for Dermal Filler Treatments in Westerville, OH
Center of Surgical Dermatology is the largest medical and surgical skin treatment and wellness facility in Central Ohio. Since 2007, our board-certified Dermatologists, fellowship-trained Mohs surgeons, and caring professional staff have provided patients with treatment they can trust in an environment second to none. Learn more about our state-of-the-art Dermatology Center before booking your appointment today.