It’s hard for someone off the street to be able to diagnose the difference between…
The beach beckons and the swimming pool seduces. When it’s hot outside, we all want to be out in the sun, playing with our friends and family, and making memories. There’s just one problem.
That’s right; the sun’s UV rays can cause so much damage that there are sobering statistics about people getting eye cancer and having many biopsies to rule out skin cancer.
But we know you’re going to get outside, and who could blame you? Our dermatologists just want you to be safe, know your risks, and take some preventative advice from them. There might even be suggestions below you have never thought of, so read carefully for our sun safety tips.
1. Buy brand-new sunscreen each year
The ingredients in sunscreen that provide UV protection break down and degrade over time; they are stuck in the bottom of your beach bag and not stored in a cool, shady place like they are supposed to. Sunscreen has an expiration date. Check it, store your sunscreen properly, and if in doubt, throw it out and buy new.
2. Use cream sunscreen instead of spray sunscreen
Cream sunscreen is superior to spray sunscreen in a variety of ways:
- When you apply spray sunscreen, the wind carries it everywhere, so you can’t tell which areas haven’t been covered, and you certainly can’t spray enough under windy conditions to get properly protected. Furthermore, it is hard to apply evenly and most people do not rub it in before getting back into the water so it can wash off easily.
- Cream sunscreens start out white, so you can see which areas you’ve covered and which areas you haven’t. Sprays are clear and don’t offer the same benefit.
Also, sunscreen is supposed to be SLATHERED on. It’s hard to slather with a spray can of sunscreen.
3. Don’t trust makeup foundation that boasts sunscreen
As we mentioned, you need to slather on sunscreen for it to be effective. Chances are, you’re not slathering on your makeup foundation, nor are you reapplying it every two hours as recommended by our dermatologists. Instead, apply your makeup foundation first, and then use your 30+ minimum SPF sunscreen. It will still be important for ultimate sun safety for you to re-apply sunscreen to the face even with makeup on. There are sunscreen powders that are elegant to use when you have to repeat application over makeup.
4. Choose your sun exposure time wisely
Between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm is the “danger zone” when the sun and its UV rays are at their peak. Your best bet is to avoid being outside during this time. If that is not possible, make sure you are taking all of your UV ray precautions by:
- Slathering yourself with sunscreen every two hours or once you’ve gotten out of a body of water.
- Wearing UV retardant clothing and cover-ups.
- Wearing a wide-brimmed hat that protects your ears and scalp.
Protecting yourself from the sun’s damaging rays isn’t all that difficult. It’s a matter of being reminded of the risks of skin cancer and the value of a good tube of sunscreen and UV-retardant clothing. Take a few precautions, and make them a habit each time you and your family go outdoors. You’ll be doing it naturally after making it a habit!
5. Schedule a Skin Care Consultation with Our Experienced Providers
Ready to achieve your best skin yet? During a skin care consultation, you’ll meet with one of our board-certified dermatologists or licensed aestheticians to discuss your skin concerns and goals.
After a thorough discussion of your concerns and evaluation by our providers, our staff will offer specific sun safety tips and skincare routine recommendations to improve the tone, texture, overall appearance, and health of your skin. We’re here to help you love the skin you’re in. Contact us today to schedule your skincare consultation.
Dermatologist-Recommended Skincare at the Center for Surgical Dermatology
Center of Surgical Dermatology is the largest medical and surgical skin treatment and wellness facility in Central Ohio. Since 2007, our board-certified dermatologists, fellowship-trained Mohs surgeons, and caring professional staff have provided patients with effective skincare treatments they can trust in an environment second to none. Learn more about our state-of-the-art Dermatology Center before booking your appointment today.