With so many aesthetic procedures on the market, it’s easy to get confused! Recently, we’ve…
Throughout the skin care industry, retinoids have grown in popularity, both at home for personal use and in dermatology clinics for professional use. However, in our expert opinion, this isn’t a surprise, as the benefits of retinoids are hard to beat!
If you’re considering adding a retinoid-based skin care product to your daily skin regimen, or are interested in professional cosmetic treatments that include retinoids, read our helpful guide. We cover what retinoids are, the benefits of retinoids, and how we use them at the Center for Surgical Dermatology.
What are Retinoids?
Retinoids are a class of medications that derive from vitamin A. In dermatology, retinoids come in two forms: topical and oral. Topical retinoids typically come as a gel, serum, or cream that are applied directly to the skin; oral retinoids come as pills or capsules that are taken by mouth.
Furthermore, retinoids can be natural or synthetic, and are available in a few different types and forms. The most common types of retinoids used in dermatological settings are retinyl esters, retinol, retinaldehyde and retinoic acid.
In many cases, you can find retinyl esters and weaker forms of retinol in over-the-counter skin care products. However, the stronger, more effective retinoic acid is only available by prescription.
What are the Benefits of Retinoids?
At the Center for Surgical Dermatology, our experienced providers are serious fans of retinoids. They boast an extensive list of remarkable benefits that help individuals revitalize and improve their complexion.
Retinoid products speed up desquamation (shedding of skin cells), unclog pores, and improve the look of skin by increasing cell turnover and regeneration, which helps:
- Reduce the frequency and severity of acne breakouts and blemishes.
- Improve the look of acne scars, and other facial scarring.
- Smooth out fine lines and wrinkles.
- Even out skin tone and texture for a softer complexion.
- Improve increased pigmentation seen with melasma, sunspots and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation due to inflammatory skin conditions.
- Reduce skin inflammation.
- Brighten skin tone for a more vibrant appearance.
How We Use Retinoids at the Center for Surgical Dermatology
At our dermatology clinic in Westerville, Ohio, we utilize retinoids in a few different ways to help our patients improve and revitalize their skin. The primary way is through prescription-based retinoid topicals in the form of creams, serums, and gels.
As mentioned above, you apply retinoid-based topicals directly to the skin. Due to their small molecular size, retinoids are able to penetrate deeper into the skin. This maximizes their abilities to encourage cell turnover and regeneration.
Another way we use retinoids is through two of our professional chemical peel treatments: the Rejuvenize Chemical Peel and Vitalize Peel.
- Rejuvenize Chemical Peel — A professional grade chemical peel that aggressively targets and treats skin discoloration, sun damage, fine lines and wrinkles, and facial scarring. The Rejuvenize Chemical Peel uses a combination of the following active ingredients to achieve exceptional results: Salicylic Acid, Lactic Acid, Resorcinol, Panthenol, Isoceteth-20, and Retinoic Acid.
- Vitalize Chemical Peel — This a milder chemical peel compared to the Rejuvenize Peel; however, it still achieves beautiful results. The Vitalize Chemical Peel harnesses the power of citric acid, salicylic acid, lactic acid, and retinol to address pigmentation issues and improve your skin’s overall quality and clarity.
Dermatologist-Recommended Skin Care at the Center for Surgical Dermatology
Whether you need a professional recommendation for OTC skin care products or would like to get a prescription for a more effective retinol-based topical, our board-certified dermatologists are here to help. Contact us to learn more or schedule a skin care consultation with one of our friendly providers!
Expert Dermatology Solutions in Central Ohio
Center of Surgical Dermatology is the largest medical and surgical skin treatment and wellness facility in Central Ohio. Since 2007, our board-certified Dermatologists, fellowship-trained Mohs surgeons, and caring professional staff have provided patients with the treatment they can trust in an environment second to none. Learn more about our state-of-the-art Dermatology Center before booking your appointment today.