08 Apr Fight the signs of aging with your many options for facial rejuvenation
By Deepa C. Lingam, MD
As women, when we look in the mirror and start to see those signs of aging, we wonder what we can do to continue looking our very best. We mostly just don’t feel like the age we actually are, and we desire to look as young as we feel. At the same time, we don’t want to look like someone else, or worse – fake. We want to look like ourselves, just a bit younger.
Your Best Options for Nonsurgical Facial Rejuvenation
From dermal fillers and Botox to microneedling, chemical peels, and laser rejuvenation, when you’re wanting to look your best, there are many routes to take. But the first step is looking at all of your facial rejuvenation options before making any decision as to which treatment is going to give you the results you want.
That’s why we want to give you a quick look at some of the most effective treatments that you can discuss with your dermatologist at your next visit.
Dermal Fillers to Restore Volume and Smooth Lines
While there are many different types of dermal fillers, at Center for Surgical Dermatology, we utilize dermal fillers that are made from hyaluronic acid, which is a normal part of our skin so they’re very safe.
Fillers can actually serve many purposes and be used to:
- Restore volume loss in the face, most commonly in the midface and cheek area as well as the smile lines, including the nasolabial folds and marionette lines. They can also be used in the chin area.
- “Fill in” the fine lines along the upper lip, making the skin in this area smoother and less wrinkly.
- Improve the appearance of the necklines, or what some call “necklace” lines.
- Treat acne scars while improving the textural abnormalities that we can see with these types of scars.
- Improve signs of aging on the backs of the hands by volumizing the area, and therefore, making veins less visible.
Botox for Creases Caused by Muscle Movement
One thing to keep in mind is that Botox is different than fillers because it doesn’t necessarily volumize or fill in lines. It’s a neurotoxin, so it simply helps to stop the muscle movement that creates the lines on the forehead and around the eyes or crow’s feet area.
Since it’s not making any dramatic changes to the structure of the face, it’s the perfect “first” cosmetic procedure. It’s very minimally invasive and keeps patients looking very natural.
The ideal candidate for Botox is anyone who’s unhappy with wrinkles that are just starting to become visible, are more visible with movement, and aren’t yet etched into the skin.
Depending on the extent or depth of the lines, I often recommend that Botox be done in combination with other treatments, such as fillers and/or laser rejuvenation therapy.
Microneedling for Improving Overall Skin Health
Microneedling is a minimally invasive procedure where small needles cause tiny little punctures in the skin, creating a pattern of tiny wounds. These wounds stimulate a healing cascade that stimulates collagen growth and improves the overall health of the skin. These benefits can be maximized with the use of platelet-rich plasma. It’s great for all skin types, one through six, and offers excellent benefits with very minimal risks.
Microneedling offers a range of benefits:
- Stimulates collagen growth
- Evens out the texture and tone of the skin
- Gives a nice glow by removing the top layer of dead skin
- Helps to tighten pores
- Improves certain types of acne scarring
The majority of patients who undergo Botox and fillers are always looking to keep up with the overall health of their skin so a lot of my patients do microneedling, and as combination therapy, it has proven to be very beneficial in treating those signs of aging. It’s not just a one-time treatment though, and for best results, it should be done at least once a quarter or every six months.
Chemical Peels to Brighten and Even Skin Tone
Chemical peels are an excellent way to exfoliate dead skin and give your face that gorgeous glow we all long for. At Center for Surgical Dermatology, we offer a range of options to choose from. Of course, our aesthetician can help you choose the one that’s going to give you the results you desire.
- Illuminize Peel: Have a special occasion coming up? Then this is the peel for you! Not only does it exfoliate dead skin, but it even stops active acne for a short time while giving your skin a beautiful glow.
- Glycolic/Salicylic/AFA Peel: These superficial peels are extremely beneficial for improving the texture of the skin texture and giving you a healthy radiant glow.
- Vitalize Peel: Looking to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles? What about clear up acne and uneven pigmentation? With a series of these peels, you’ll be amazed at the results.
- Rejuvenize Peel: While being 70% stronger than the Vitalize Peel, the Rejuvenize peel is going to exfoliate dead skin cells, improve skin texture, and encourage the production of collagen all while helping to reduce pigmented areas.
- Gentleman’s Peel: For men only, this peel not only removes dead skin cells but also helps to fight acne.
Laser Rejuvenation to Combat Signs of Aging
Different types of lasers can help you fight different signs of aging, and here are three common lasers that can help you achieve facial rejuvenation.
- Vascular Laser: The Vascular laser is used primarily to treat unwanted broken blood vessels and discolorations of the skin.
- Fractional Laser: As a newer, innovative laser, this treatment can help you look years younger without the downtime of other less effective procedures.
- Pigmented Lesions Laser: Sunspots and skin discoloration can be tell-tale signs of your age. But not anymore. The pigmented lesions laser can make these disappear for good.
With all of your options for true facial rejuvenation, it can hard to know where to start. But have no fear. The team at Center for Surgical Dermatology in Ohio can help you find the best treatment or combination of treatments to help you turn back the clock, leaving you looking just as young as you feel in no time!